If you’re thinking about hiring a house cleaner, you probably want to know what they actually do and what areas they clean.
In this article, we walk you through the typical cleaning process for each room in your home and detail the tasks that house cleaners perform. Additionally, we'll address common questions you may have to help you feel confident when hiring your first house cleaner.
What do house cleaners do?
House cleaners handle kitchen chores like washing dishes and cleaning appliances. They organize, fold laundry, dust, and make beds in bedrooms. They also clean and sanitize toilets, wash bathroom sinks and countertops, clean mirrors and shower heads, and tidy up towels. Overall, house cleaners ensure a clean home.
Room by room: What do house cleaners clean?
- Wash dishes and kitchenware
- Clean the microwave inside and out
- Wipe down appliance exteriors
- Scrub and sanitize countertops
- Organize and tidy up belongings
- Dust furniture and decorative items
- Vacuum or sweep the floor
- Make the bed neatly and arrange pillows
- Fold laundry and put it away (if requested)
- Thoroughly clean and sanitize the toilet
- Wash the sink and countertops
- Clean the shower and bathtub
- Wipe down mirrors and glass surfaces
- Fold and hang towels neatly
- Organize and tidy up common areas
- Dust all surfaces, including shelves and décor
- Vacuum carpets or mop hard floors
- Empty trash bins and replace garbage bags
Can I ask my house cleaner to clean extra items?
Yes, you can ask your house cleaner to clean extra items. Many cleaning services, like Homeaglow, offer premium services in addition to their regular cleaning packages. These premium services may include tasks like washing and folding laundry, cleaning inside the fridge and oven, inside cabinets, interior windows, and interior walls.
However, among the top 5 cleaning services, Homeaglow is the only cleaning company that incorporates premium services into their standard offerings, provided sufficient time is available during your scheduled cleaning session.
So, you get premium services plus regular cleaning at regular pricing.
If you have specific extra items or areas you'd like the house cleaner to address, discuss these with them beforehand. If the additional tasks require more time than the standard cleaning allows, you can book extra time for these services.
What does a house cleaner do in 2 hours?
What a house cleaner can accomplish in two hours depends on the size and specific needs of your home. Generally speaking, in two hours a house cleaner can thoroughly clean one kitchen and one bathroom.
If you have a 1 bed/1 bath home, three hours would be ideal to thoroughly clean your bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen.
Meanwhile, most house cleaners can cover two bathrooms, two bedrooms and the kitchen in four hours. If you own a larger home with three or more rooms, three+ bathrooms, and a kitchen, a six-hour session would be best to ensure a thorough and detailed cleaning.
What to do in preparing for your house cleaner’s first visit
- Tidy up clutter (optional, but allows the house cleaner to focus on deep cleaning tasks efficiently).
- Remove personal items or valuables that you prefer to handle yourself.
- Make a list of specific cleaning tasks or areas you want them to focus on.
- Discuss any priorities or expectations you have for the cleaning session.
- Provide clear instructions regarding any delicate or fragile items in the house.
- Ensure the house is accessible and keys are available if needed.
- Make arrangements for pets, if any, during the cleaning session.
- Clear the floors of any obstacles or items that might hinder the cleaning process.
- If you have specific time constraints, communicate them beforehand.
- Purchase your cleaning voucher on Homeaglow according to the size of your home and schedule cleaning.
What to do after your house cleaner visits
- Leave a review about your experience with the cleaner through Homeaglow. Your feedback not only acknowledges the cleaner’s efforts, but it also helps others make informed decisions when they hire.
- Consider tipping the cleaner if you are satisfied with their service. While optional, it's a gesture of appreciation for their hard work.
- If you want to continue with the same cleaner, you can easily rebook through Homeaglow. Alternatively, if you wish to explore other cleaning professionals, you can try out someone new on the platform.
A clean house is a happy house
Now that you know what to expect from house cleaners, you can confidently hire one for your home, as it’s a worthwhile investment that can bring immense benefits to your life.
By entrusting the cleaning tasks to professionals, you'll avoid hours of tedious work and have more time for other vital things in your life.
Ready to hire a cleaner?
With Homeaglow, you can easily book an affordable, top-rated cleaner in your area. Read reviews, compare your options, and schedule online in minutes.